Ph.D. Candidate in Philosophical Theology, Calvin Theological Seminary, Jan 2021.
- Comprehensive Examination Fields: Philosophical Theology: analytical theology, apologetics, religious epistemology and ontology | Moral Theology: human sexuality, natural law; work and vocation | Historical Theology: development of covenant theology, reformation/post-reformation | Systematic Theology: doctrine of God; doctrine of Christ, doctrine of humanity, theological prolegomena.
Th.M. – Master of Theology, Calvin Theological Seminary, May 2017. Majored in Pastoral Care and Faith Formation.
M.Div. – Master of Divinity, Western Theological Seminary, May 2015.
B.A. – Bachelor of Arts, University of Costa Rica, Aug 2004. Majored in Spanish Studies.
- Spanish: Native Speaker
- English: Full Professional
- German: Reading Proficiency
- French: Reading Proficiency
- Biblical Hebrew: Research Working Knowledge
- Classical and Koine Greek: Research Working Knowledge
- Classical and Vulgar Latin: Research Working Knowledge
Research and Writing
- Click here for a list of published articles and essays.
- Dissertation Working Title: “Herman Bavinck Among the Philosophers: His Uses of Philosophy.” Anticipated submission in May 2025.
- Evangelical Philosophical Society
- Society of Christian Philosophers
- The Bavinck Society
- Advisory Board Member, Frontera de Gracia (An Initiative from RCA Global Missions), May 2022–Present
Fellowships, Scholarships and Grants
- Doctoral Fellowship, Calvin Theological Seminary, 2017-2021
- Tuition Grant, The Latino Seminary Student Fund, Classis of Holland RCA, 2016-2023
- Howard Miller Scholarship (CPE Tuition Award), Pine Rest Christian Mental Services, 2016
- ThM Tuition Grant, Calvin Theological Seminary, 2015-2017
- Tuition Scholarship, Christ Memorial Reformed Church, 2013-2014
- Tuition Scholarship, Reformed Church in America Ethnic Scholarship, 2013
- Vernon & Carol Hoffman Scholarship for Racial-Ethnic Minorities, Western Theological Seminary, 2012-2015
Teaching Experience (at graduate level)
Instructor, Hispanic Ministry Certificate Program, Calvin Theological Seminary:
- Study and Research Skills, J-Term 2018
Teaching Assistant, Hispanic Ministry Certificate Program, Calvin Theological Seminary:
- Christian Education for Young People (Prof. E. Tamez), Fall 2018
- Theology for Ministry (Prof. J. González), Fall 2018
- Interpreting and Preaching the Old Testament (Prof. A. Leder), Spring 2018.
- Worship and Preaching (Rev. J. Sierra and Prof. Y. Apolinaris), J-Term 2018.
- Interpreting and Preaching Ephesians (Prof. M. Avila), Fall 2017.
- Please note that the Certificate in Hispanic Ministry is a 27-credit academic program sponsored by Calvin Theological Seminary and the DeVos Foundations. The purpose of the program is to equip Spanish-speaking pastors and church leaders who are serving in ministry.
Graduate Assistant to New Testament Professor Dr. M. Avila in the Residential and Distance Master of Divinity Program, Calvin Theological Seminary:
- Biblical Interpretation for Ministry, Online, J-Term 2018.
- The Kingdom of God, Its Meaning, and Significance, Online, Fall 2017.
- New Testament Narratives, In-Residence, Fall 2017.
- New Testament Narratives, Online, Fall 2017
- Biblical Interpretation for Ministry, In-Residence, Summer 2017.
Editorial and Translation Work
- Communications Assistant for M.Ed Annie Mas-Smith, Calvin Theological Seminary, Sept 2021-Oct 2022.
- Lead Editor, Stromata: The Graduate Journal of Calvin Theological Seminary, Sept 2016-Jun 2020.
- English-Spanish Translator, Calvin Institute of Christian Worship, Jan 2018. Translation of the book chapter: John Witvliet, “The Former Prophets and the Practice of Christian Worship,” Worship Seeking Understanding (Grand Rapids: Baker Academics, 2003): 23-37.
- Editorial Assistant for Dr. K. Maag, Calvin Theological Journal, Sept-Dec 2016.
- Intern Chaplain, Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services, May 2016 – Aug 2016. In this full-time summer internship, I worked as a chaplain in the mental health context, working especially with patients diagnosed with chronic mental illness and co-current disorders.
- Community Engagement Intern, Christ Memorial Reformed Church, Aug 2013 – Sept 2014. Besides giving administrative support to the Community Engagement team, this internship let me promote and support programs and events with a comprehensive outreach vision to approach local missions such as the coordination of volunteer opportunities, creation of programs to reach racial-diverse groups, etc.
- Pastoral Intern, 14th St. Christian Reformed Church, Oct 2012 – May 2013. Throughout the internship, I developed my skills about preaching, worship leading, and church administration.
- Participated in the Hispanic Theological Initiative’s Virtual Professional Development Conference (Virtual PDC) for academic year 2022-23.
- Ordained as Specialized Minister in the Reformed Church in America, Feb 2018.
- Granted a certificate for completing four hundred hours of supervised training at Pine Rest Christian Mental Services earning one unit (Level 1) of Clinical Pastoral Education. In this full-time Summer internship, I worked as a chaplain in the mental health context, working especially with patients diagnosed with chronic mental illness and co-current disorders.
- Participated in the Conflict Resolution Workshop “Restorative Circles/Non-Violent Communication” at Western Theological Seminary, 2013.
Abilities and Skills
- Cross-cultural living experiences
- Analytical-Relater leadership
- Organizational-oriented person
- Team worker with a collaborative spirit
- Committed to Christian education
- Hospitality toward theological diversity and other worldviews
- Ability to recognize and honor cultural diversity
- Biliterate in English and Spanish
- Ability to write formal articles, essays, and reports
- Experience with translation software